Friday, September 4, 2015

Pipe Bender Chapter 2 "Both"

Pipe Bender Chapter 2
“Both.”

I got as close as I could to the break-room door with a little window in it to see what the zombies were huddled around. Dreading what I was going to see I took it really slow. On my knees I peeked up to look and when I saw the zombies huddled around several bags of beef jerky relief spread through my system from head to toe. Across the room I saw the snack machine and low and behold Janice had climbed inside and must have used the contents of the machine- every type of beef jerky known to man- to lure the zombies away from her. She saw me looking through the window and motioned with her finger near her mouth for me to be quiet. I really didn’t need the advice. She then pointed to the other side of the room; there was a door that was opened to the outside. Was she trying to tell me to make a break for it without her? Even if she were there was no way I was going to leave her, once the zombies finished off the jerky, she would be next. I shook my head no, but she more aggressively pointed to the backdoor. There was only one way I would be able to get her out of there and that was a distraction. What does every good distraction need, bait. I didn’t have anything or anyone else so I decided- I’d be the bait.

Slowly I checked the door knob trying to not make a sound, thankfully it was open. I stood up and prepared myself for a quick dash across the room to the exit door. Just then I heard a noise from behind me and it was Mrs. Johnson riding on a handicap shopping cart. She was coming straight for me and hitting everything in her path. I motioned for her to stop but she wouldn’t, she just kept coming. “Billy, you forgot the screws with my order,” she yelled out.  I put my finger up to my mouth to get her to be quiet. “Don’t shush me you adolescent punk, if it hadn’t been for you I’d still be home and not tied up in this…” Out of the corner of her peripheral a zombie jumped out, and without even flinching Mrs. Johnson pulled out a shotgun and stopped the zombie in its tracks with one shot. The zombie hit the ground, and because of all the noise any sneaking around for me was over. The zombies in the break-room ran to the door, thankfully I got there sooner and jammed it with my foot. Like it or not, Janice used the opportunity to make a run for the backdoor. She climbed out of the vending machine and ran. One of the zombies in the room noticed and took chase but Janice was faster. When she got out of the break-room and into the alley she slammed the door. At least one thing went my way, she had escaped, but I didn’t feel great about it. For one; she left me, and for two; I was supposed to be helping her, and now I had the zombies and Mrs. Johnson to contend with. Mrs. Johnson rolled up on her cart, “If you had got my order right, I’d be home right now enjoying my shows, but because of your nitwit abilities as a stock boy, I have to pop these dead things in the head.”
                “I’m sorry but I think we’ve got bigger fish to fry,” I pointed to the eight to ten zombies in the room trying to get out. “Never mind them, what do you need in there for anyway?” She was right, Janice was out and all we needed to do was make sure those zombies didn’t get out.
                “Could you hand me that chair,” I asked Mrs. Johnson. She gave me a look like, “Really, do you think this cart is just for looks?”
 I thought it was.
“Fine,” I said.
I wedged my pipe bender under the door knob as the zombies pressed harder on the door and then I was able to get the chair and bring it back. I quickly replaced the pipe bender with the chair. Mrs. Johnson and I turned to leave the back part of the store but she took a wide turn and knocked the chair away from the door and the zombies lurched with enough force that the door frame gave way and they came crashing out. Mrs. Johnson’s cart lurched forward as I ran. The zombies fell over each other trying to get up which was Mrs. Johnson’s only saving grace. We got out of the backroom, but there wasn’t a door between the front of the store and the back just some big rubber strips that hung from the ceiling. We reached aisle one before the zombies caught up with us. One zombie running behind us didn’t see it coming; Mrs. Johnson slipped the shot gun over her shoulder and pulled the trigger hitting it in the chest knocking the zombie down, sending the next few toppling over it. I was a good twenty feet ahead of Mrs. Johnson and there was no way she was going to be able to keep up because her cart wasn’t made for speed. More zombies must have heard all the racket and came running from all parts of the store. I had a moral dilemma; either run leaving Mrs. Johnson unprotected, or I could try to keep her safe, but she didn’t seem to need my help with her knowing how to use the gun and all. She shot a few more times and a few more victims hit the ground, but there were more coming and our only way out of this was to get to the exit and find a way to lock the doors before they all spilled out.
                I reached the door first and looked for a way to keep the exit from opening once we got out, but it was just the one door, and there were so many others that this would just slow them down a bit. It was the only hope we had; I knew it wouldn’t stop them, but it might have given us enough time to get somewhere safe.
                Mrs. Johnson was rolling towards the door, about ten feet away now, and she was almost consumed with zombies. She fired, reloaded and fired again, but every time she reloaded she had to stop. I thought about just picking her up and running with her, but I didn’t think I’d get very far with her on my back. I heard her scream as one of the zombies bit her, she finally got up from the cart and started smacking the zombies with the butt of her gun, “If it wasn’t for you Billy, I wouldn’t be here, I hope you can sleep at night boy.” She was then engulfed in zombies and then there was a huge barrage of gun fire as the zombies around her fell to the ground. She was on the ground and looked at me and said with what looked like a smile, “I always wanted to do that…” She closed her eyes and I ran out into the parking lot. The whole parking lot seemed like a state fair; there were all these cars parked all crooked and people running mad all over, but it dawned on me slowly that the ones running were no longer people but zombies and most were running towards me. The zombies in the store were now making their way out, and now I was surrounded.
                I heard a car horn being repeatedly honked and heard the screeching of tires and a blue sedan came barreling through a small grouping of zombies. The car was being driven by none other than Mister Willard. The only reason I knew that was because his picture was everywhere in the store. Like I said before we started to believe he was more myth than real. The car came to a sliding halt in front of me. The passenger’s door flung open and Janice was inside yelling, “Get in! Get it!”
I ran for the door and had to take out a few zombies on the way; they went down relatively easy. I jumped in and before I could shut the door Mr. Willard was burning the tires. The door slammed shut without me even trying but as it did a crazy old lady hit the side of the car and hung on for dear life. It was Mrs. Johnson, but not. She was a zombie now but still looked as bitter and sour as she was in life. She tried to ram her head into the window but thankfully the glass held. Mr. Willard spun the car to the left and slammed the right side of the car against another car and Mrs. Johnson got pinned between the two cars. Mister Willard then drove away leaving Mrs. Johnson there to chew-out any other zombie that was within earshot. I yelled for Mr. Willard to stop which eventually he did. I quickly jumped out of the car, “What are you doing?” Janice yelled.
                “I can’t leave her here like this,” I ran back to where she was, gave her a quick pop to the head and down she went. Getting back to the car Janice asked, “Couldn’t leave her like that, or couldn’t leave her to torture other zombies for eternity?”
                “Both.”

Leaving the parking lot I saw one thing that brought my day to a new level of low; my mom’s car was sitting at the entrance for the parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment