Sunday, November 20, 2011

About My NaNoWriMo Experience

 First off, a lot of you... my two followers probably have read NaNoWriMo somewhere, either on my blog, Facebook, and Twitter, but what is it. It's a challenge to authors or to people who want to be one, to write 50,000 word in November. Wow, seems like a lot right. That's what I thought last year when I heard about it, which may have prevented me for doing it, plus I was in the middle of writing my book Zombies: The End is Just the Beginning (plug, plug). This year though I heard about it again about two days before it started. So I decided, "Hey, why not." Plus I needed to grow as a writer, and what a better why to do it, then to write. 


Also NaNoWriMo.org can explain a few more things about it. They do this annually to raise money for youth writing programs, but to be honest, since I'm new to the whole thing I haven't donated yet.


About my personal NaNoWriMo adventure: I had written out my outline for November, but reached the end of my outline and still had about 20,000 words left to go. I thought about going back and adding a lot of the detail I meant to put in, but I didn't feel like I had the amount of time I needed to do that and write 20,000 more words. So, I continued with the story, even though I had no intention to keep going. 


The end I had initially outlined was where I wanted the story to end so I could continue with another story idea that lined up with it. BUT, I needed 20,000 more words, so I continued forward. At first I didn't like it, but then I discovered an interesting story that was yearning to get out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment