Monday, September 26, 2011

Interview with myself Part 2

Part 2
Q: How was the writing process? I mean like how long did it take to write, review, and edit?

A: It took a solid 6 months to write the first draft, but because I had so much to learn I spent a great deal more time editing, and re-editing. So maybe a year and half, but I won’t be finished till it goes to print. Just like recording a song, it’s never done until it’s finally recorded. I’ll tweak this or that until it sounds perfect, or till it’s time to write my next story.

Q: So this was your first book?

A: Yes.

Q: Did you think you could do it, I mean it seems so daunting?

A: I’d been writing off and on for a long time, but mostly lyrics for songs. I’d told my wife while dating about all these screen play ideas I had, but never finished them. One day, she said, “Why don’t you finish one?” So I decided I would, but instead of a screen play I’d do a novel. I knew I could write a novel, but really didn’t know how. I figured initially I’d just start and see where it takes me. Probably the wrong way to do it, but it was fun to see the story progressed right in front of me. I really liked the process.

Q: So your wife inspired you, who else?

A:  A few former co-workers, Martha, and Jack. Martha took a lot of writing classes and when we worked together she poured into me a lot of her knowledge. And then Jack is this creative guy I know that kind of looks at the world in a different way. But he’s the one that was gutsy enough to tell me, you need to get some books to help with writing. Opened up a whole can of gummy worms for me, that’s when I got several books from the library.

Q: What book helped the most?

A: A Complete idiots Guide to Writing a Novel. I still wish I had a copy, it was great and I encourage everyone to read it.  I’m sure I’ll go back and find it, and read it every year.

Q: What were, or are some of the most influential writers for you?

A: This is kind of weird, but the author who showed me it could be done was Stephenie Meyers. She showed me it didn’t have to be super wordy to get your point across, the book can be fun, fast paced, and still is able to tell a good story, or at least a story. I’m not a huge fan of the Twilight series, because it’s aimed at girls, but I did love reading the version from Edward’s perspective, because it was way more violent, and aimed for guys…I think.

Q: So you’re not into Chick-Lit?

A: I wouldn’t say that, if it’s good… than I don’t mind it, but if it’s just constant dribble about a girl pawning after a boy, than nope. If it has a good subject, and has more to offer than a love story I’m good. However, I’m very selective about what I read, because I’m a slow reader.

Q: Do you think being a slow reader hurts your writing?

A: I think it does, but it’s something that I’m trying to compensate for… meaning I’m trying to read more books, and asking around what avid readers think are the best books for someone who wants to be a writer to read. Also knowing my weaknesses helps me continue to improve.

Q: So how do you improve your writing skills, I know you can’t just take a class and be better?

A: I practice my craft. I play guitar, but if I didn’t practice I’d never be any good. As it is with writing, I enjoy it, so I write.

Q: Any examples of what you write.

A: Well, I use to blog on MySpace, but since that’s kind of a dying platform I started a Blogger.com blog. Also any time I get an idea, I try to write it down. Before when I’d email, or text someone, I didn’t care about capitals, or commas, or quoting someone right. Now I try to edit myself, make sure all the spellings correct, and reread everything before I send it out. Of course I don’t catch everything.

Q: So when you finished writing your novel what did you do next?

A: My wife and I celebrated, because it makes life more fun. Prior to finishing my book, actually way back when I started taking it serious I’d read on Stephenie Meyers web site, how she wrote her book, how she found and agent, and how she got published. Honestly, I followed her game plan. I learned about query letters, literary agents, and where to find all the information I’d need. Plus I spoke to a friend who edits books for businesses, and he’d mentioned this e-book that helps with writing a query.

Q: Did the e-book help?

A: Honestly by the time I read it, I’d found about 90% of his information free online. The only thing that has been helpful has been his blog.

Q: Care to mention who it was, or what it was called?

A: Nope, if I find something awesome, I’ll share, but if I didn’t think much of it, I tend to not share the names because you never know when or if, it’ll come back to haunt you. One thing I will say is there is plenty of people out there blogging information about getting an agent, it’s not hard to find excellent blogs on the subject. Also Writer’s Digest is an amazing free resource. Go there and get tons, and I do mean tons of good information. You may never leave the site, so if you need to write something, you may not want to go there.

Q: What would you tell someone who’s just getting started out as a writer?

A: If it’s a novelist, I’d say read ‘A Complete Idiots Guide to Writing a Novel,’ and then write, and don’t stop. Too many people think too much, and don’t do enough writing. One thing I’ve learn is just write, don’t edit, and don’t think too much about everything, just write. Details are important, but can be added later. Spelling, grammar, and punctuation need to be as spot on as possible, but if it hampers your creative juices, do it later.

Q: Okay, I’ll leave you with this last question. Where do you hope to be, in say… five years? What are your goals as a writer?

A: First off, I want to get my book published. If that happens then awesome, if not, I’ll continue working on my other ideas. I have 4 other books in my brain that needs to be written. I know my first book was all about learning the process of writing, and I’ve still got so much growing to do, but I’ve gotten a lot better and I think it’ll show. Also I think finding an agent that’ll help me grow, point me in the right direction, and potentially they’ll keep me working in the writing field, which would be awesome. In five years, I’d like to have my first book in print, and maybe even have a second and a third on the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment