Saturday, September 17, 2011

Part 1 of 2, Questions with Myself, the Interview!

I was reading on an Amazon add where a writer (I don't remember which), did an interview with herself. I thought, well until I'm world famous and everyone is clambering  for an interview I may as well do one with myself as well. Good writing exercise too, so enjoy!

Q: The books called Zombies: The End is Just the Beginning, so I’m assuming it’s about zombies, but briefly would you tell me about your book without giving too much away.

A: Yeah sure, it’s a story that follows Ryan, a young adult in his early twenties trying to find his niche in life, and love in the process. The book is set in Tacoma WA, during the first three weeks of the zombie apocalypse. In Ryan’s perspective we see him find other survivors, a potential love interest, become a leader, watch him fail, deal with self doubt, and then learn from his mistakes. During the story he’s forced to become a man to provide for his group, lead them to safety, and do some unthinkable things to survive. In a nut shell it’s a coming of age story with flesh eating zombies.

Q: So why books? Did you grow up reading; has this always been your thing?

A: Honestly, I wasn’t much of a reader, not because I didn’t like books, it was because most were just too wordy.
The only thing I read a lot was the Bible, and I’m thankful because it did help improve my reading, and writing skills. So when called to read in class I wasn’t the worst, but still not the best.
Writing was always there, but it was with songs, poems, and short stories. With two older brothers that were tight I was always kind of left to have fun by myself, I made up little stories and battles with my action figures.

Q: Any imaginary friends?

A: Nah, there was always too much stuff going on for fake friends. My dad took us camping, we played sports, made monster movies, and stuff like that.

Q: So is that where your love of zombies happened?

A: Maybe, but monster movies, and scary movies were always a staple in the Street house.

Q: Why zombies then?

A: I was always told, “Write what you know?” I’d seen so many movies, and loved how it can be funny and dark all at the same time. That scene where Shaun has to kill his mum in Shaun of the Dead was awesome. Played very serious, but those guys always make me laugh.

Q: Who were some of your early favorites?

A: I was always fascinated with Edgar Allen Poe; I remember having to read his poem The Raven, and can still remember by heart the first page of it. I don’t know why, but I always liked the dark subject matter. Maybe it had something to do with my dad letting us watch all those scary movies when we were young. Still to this day, I’m not sure why he let a 10 year old see American Werewolf in London.

Q: So comedy, or horror?

A: I love comedy, and I love horror, but the cheesy funny stuff like ‘Evil Dead, and ‘Drag Me to Hell.’ I think my stuff is funny, but it’s not trying to be laugh out loud funny, more amusing I guess. I think the best comedies, and the best horror are played real, and the situations makes them funny, or scary. That’s how I write; I just hope it comes out that way.

Q: So you’re writing Young Adult, why?

A: I didn’t set out to write YA, but I learned in the process that my audience would probably be more youthful. Don’t see too many older adults reading zombies books. Not that they can’t, just not as many would. Plus my story revolves around a group of kids dealing with the zombie apocalypse.

Q: So it is horror?

A: I’d say it’s more an action/adventure. There’s chase sequences, fights, gun battles, dragster cars, skateboarders, out of control fires, and zombies being torn to shreds.

Q: But, it’s got zombies, right? If it’s not horror, then is it a monster novel?

A: Yeah, there are monsters. Zombies are the backbone, the threat, but the story is more than just zombies running around eating people. It’s about the relationships that form in the course of the book.

Q: But, there's also a love story, right?

A: Yes, the main character Ryan runs into a girl he’d met prior to the zombie infestation.

Q: Want to elaborate a little on that?

A: I don’t want to give too much away, I do- want people to read the book when it comes out, but what I will say is that the relationship is one that grows during the story, and it’s not girl meets boy and they start making out. I wanted it to be a little more realistic, they are facing onslaughts of flesh eating zombies, which makes it hard to make out all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment