Sunday, October 9, 2011

Grammar Rules

I’m not an expert of the subject but hopefully this will help other writers. Commas are killer, especially when it comes to writing. Most teachers I’ve had just say, “Put a comma when you want to add a pause,” that is not entirely true.

One easy thing I’ve learned, when you replace ‘that’ with ‘which’ is a sentence, you always need to put a comma. For example:

There was a long nail driven in a wall, which was rusted from tip to tail.

Easy enough, right? If you know the rules then you can do it the right way.

The other thing I’ve learned about writing is that it’s similar to playing music. You have to know the rules, so you can break them.

One thing I really like in some of the modern novels is how they emphasize a thought, or maybe an action with one word sentences.

I ran all the way to the store, but before I made it there I hit the ground, which hurt. Bad.

(Maybe not the best example, but you get the point.) It’s definitely not grammatically correct, but I like the way it reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment