Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My Quest for Literary Agent Continues...

While writing a short story for the Writer’s Digest competition I found two literary agencies that I was real interested in working with. One of them deals with a lot of YA novelist that seem to write about the paranormal or supernatural. I really liked the selection of authors they represent, and I now follow several on Twitter.

If you’re just starting out as an author like I am, I encourage you to get up on the web, try Twitter; you’ll actually learn a lot. It may take a few attempts but before long a web of information will surround you. It seems if I let it happen I’ll read one thing, which leads me to another, and then farther down the rabbit hole I go with useful information. Best of all it’s free.

So…  I have two more agents I’m waiting on, with the 4 others I’m still waiting on to reply. One of the agencies said it’ll take about 2 weeks, the other it’ll contact me if they’re interested. Meanwhile I’ve learned more about dialog, and have been tweaking my story.  I still think you’re never done until it’s published.

Also, I was reading the Strunk and White book, The Elements of Style and read a little tad bit about the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. A co-worker looked it up for me on line and I read it. I encourage everyone that’s into ghost and zombies and stuff to read it. It’s really creepy, but it’ll take a few reads to comprehend what’s going on, well it did for me.  I also found the tune by Iron Maiden, and their retellings pretty good. The poem, which honestly I thought it was a book before yesterday, is in six parts. It’s long but worth the read. Even the Iron Maiden songs 13 minutes long, so it’s just long, but way good.

Tid bit for thought. I'm not even getting paid for this. I went to Wendy's today to try their new Cheese Steak almost knowing for sure it wouldn't be near as good as the commercial. I was even prepared to talk about false advertising, how it wouldn't be anything like what they said, blah, blah, blah... but it was actually pretty good. Shock. Shock. And I've been to Philly and had a real one, so not bad Wendy, not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment