Monday, January 30, 2012

The Quiet of the Day!

The Quiet of the Day:

While trying to write, do you ever find yourself out of ideas? Or you’ve worked your way into a corner of your story and you can’t get out? You’ve put on your favorite music, you’ve grabbed a drink of choice, you’ve taken some time out to watch a movie, or read a book, but nothing seems to get you out of this funk.
Try silence. In the mornings while showering I’d come up with some of my best ideas for stories. One morning while showering I came up with an awesome idea for a story and on my way to work, (which used to be a 30 minute drive) I came up with the rest of an outline for the story. Plus, not to get to personal I get some good ideas while on the pot. 

But why, I thought were these the few times I got my really good ideas? It dawned on me… that these were the only times that I sat in silence long enough for my imagination to run wild. So, if you are locked in a corner with a story, the characters lost, and have no hope of seeing the light of day. Lock yourself in a corner, or somewhere quiet long enough for the ideas to start flowing out.

In an age when Angry Birds, Pandora, Facebook, and Twitter are all vying for your time, turn it all off, don’t take your phone into the crapper, leave the music off, and just listen. Of course, at first you may not get anything great, but if and when you do, when you return to your desk, or while driving pull up to a red light, record your ideas. This quiet time, may pay you back a hundred fold.

Also in prayer, people often ask, “How come I never hear God?” I think it’s because all of our time is so wrapped up in entertaining ourselves that we don’t make time to listen. This is something I struggle with, but it’s also where I’ve learned that if I turn everything off, and spend time with God, I’ll have a heck of a better chance to know Him.

Now, I know some people work well with distractions, with music blaring, and people all around them. To a certain degree I do too. I like to have the idea formed, throw in some music, and just let it rip. Sometimes when I want to write action, I write with Metal music blaring, when I want something more dramatic, or maybe slightly romantic, I throw on some Adele. Whatever works for you, is the best. But trying out what other people use, may open some doors for you.

Good luck, and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment